is a town in Harrison and Franklin townships, Kosciusko County, Indiana,
in the United States. Mentone is the self-proclaimed "Egg Basket of
the Midwest" because of prolific commercial egg production in the
area, and holds an Egg Festival annually in early June to celebrate its
heritage. A large concrete egg stands near the town center and is
considered locally to be the "Largest Egg in the World". The
Lawrence D. Bell Aircraft Museum is located within city limits.
The idea of the egg was
conceived by Ed Ward who was the manager of the Northern Indiana CO-OP
Association, and some of the egg farmers in and around Mentone. Hugh
Rickel of Palistine designed and built the egg. It was constructed in
the building next door to the late Dr. Davison's dental office which was
on the northwest corner of Main & Morgan St. in late 1946.
As the story goes,
Dobbs & John Miller operated a sheet metal shop in Mentone at the
time. They wanted to make the egg out of sheet metal, but Rickel didn't
think it would last. Rickel then made the egg from steel rods welded up
and down and then ran one up the center. The concrete plastering was
done by Pete Goble, we later heard it was done by Clyde & George
Reed. If you have any evidence let us know so we can clear this up.
The egg was then
painted by Harry Meredith.
After it was finished,
it was loaded on a truck (it took twelve men to load it as it's estmated
to weigh in at 3000 lbs.!)and taken to Warsaw and placed on the
courthouse lawn where it stood for two weeks to advertise the Mentone
Egg Show. In searching through the Mentone papers a picture of the egg
was found of it on the courthouse lawn, it was the March 13, 1946 issue
of the Mentone CO-OP News. We assume the egg must have been constructed
earlier that year.
Benson of the Board of Directors of the Northern Indiana CO-OP
Association, said that the egg was returned after the 2 weeks at Warsaw
and we didn't know what to do with it! So the CO-OP donated the land
where the egg stands today on the corner of Main and Morgan streets.